FIRST TRIMESTER ABORTION 5 to 12 weeks
In the first trimester a surgical abortion procedure from 5 to 12 weeks of your last menstrual period (LMP) can be provided in just one office visit.
First trimester abortion is a very safe, 3 minute procedure with anesthesia. For over 37 years we have provided compassionate, patient-centered care in a warm and supportive environment. We are committed to the highest standards in medical care. Our doctors are Board- Certified OB/GYNs with over 50 years combined experience.
What to Expect
As soon as you walk through our doors you will be greeted by a kind, caring staff member.
Your next step is to have an ultrasound to determine the precise length of pregnancy. You will then receive lab work. After your lab work is completed, you will have a confidential counseling session, and if you choose, family and friends are welcome to participate.
Our staff members are well trained to tailor each session to the specific needs of each patient. Your private session is designed as a time to exchange information and express any concerns or feelings you might be experiencing.
You will have an opportunity to discuss any questions you have with the doctor.
Prior to the surgical abortion procedure, you will have your choice of sedation. We offer two options for sedation – twilight sedation and local anesthesia.
This is a good option for those patients who want to be comfortable and relatively unaware of the procedure.
The local option is for those patients looking for a very light administration of medication.
A first trimester abortion surgery is a very safe and simple procedure and lasts only a few minutes. Depending on the length of pregnancy, the procedure takes between 3 and 10 minutes.
Afterward, you will be brought into our recovery room where our nurses will care for you. At that time you will have something to eat and drink. A female family member or friend is welcome to be with you at this time. You will be given post-operative instructions, medications, and the birth control option of your choice.
All of us at Presidential Women’s Center would like to thank you for placing your trust in us for your reproductive healthcare.
We respect that some patients value a more private setting and we can accommodate these patients by offering a private waiting and recovery room for family and friends. [Private Abortion]
The Safety of Abortion
The Guttmacher Institute is recognized in the U.S. and worldwide as a leader in women’s reproductive healthcare research. According to their state facts about abortion they describe the safety of abortion.
- A first-trimester abortion is one of the safest medical procedures, with minimal risk—less than 0.05%—of major complications that might need hospital care.
- Abortions performed in the first trimester pose virtually no long-term risk of such problems as infertility, ectopic pregnancy, spontaneous abortion (miscarriage) or birth defect, and little or no risk of preterm or low-birth-weight deliveries.
- Exhaustive reviews by panels convened by the U.S. and British governments have concluded that there is no association between abortion and breast cancer. There is also no indication that abortion is a risk factor for other cancers.
- Leading experts have concluded that, among women who have an unplanned pregnancy, the risk of mental health problems is no greater if they have a single first-trimester abortion than if they carry the pregnancy to term.
- Fifty-eight percent of abortion patients say they would have liked to have had their abortion earlier. Nearly 60% of women who experienced a delay in obtaining an abortion cite the time it took to make arrangements and raise money.
- Teens are more likely than older women to delay having an abortion until after 15 weeks of pregnancy, when the medical risks associated with abortion are significantly higher.
National Abortion Federation (“NAF”) [PDF]